Re: gEDA-user: VDD/VSS net confusion

On Jun 18, 2008, at 4:40 AM, Vassilis Pandis wrote:

> --- John Luciani <jluciani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> There is no other component connected to VSS and VDD which is why
>> you get this error. I would create a 4017 symbol with power pins
>> and use
>> nets to connect the pins to the power supply.
>>

> That sorted it out. I still don't get why it didn't realize I was
> connecting other stuff to 'vdd' as well, but nevermind, it works now.
> Thanks John and everybody else who responded to the thread.
>
> For reference in case somebody sees this thread in the future:
> I opened 4017.sym  with gschem, edit->show inv text, removed the
> vss/vdd and added two pins, vdd(pin no 16) and vss (pin no 8).
> Set the pintype to "in".

The hazard of doing it this way is that you just edited the library
symbol. The next time you install a new version of gEDA, you'll
overwrite your modified symbol with the library symbol and break your
schematic. Better to designate a project symbol directory with a line
like

(component-library ".")

in your gafrc file. That causes gEDA to look for symbols in the
designated directory, in this case just the working directory
"." (where the schematics are). Copy the symbol you wish to edit to
that place. Give it a name different from the library name. Use that
symbol in your schematic. Customize it to meet your requirements.

And this, oh developers, is why the project symbol directory concept
should be supported in the GUI and standardized. Hs should *not* take
you to the library: it makes no sense to be editing symbols there.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx