gEDA-user: poll: The results

Finally, I got to do the promised evaluation of the answers. See below.

------------------------------------
Number of participants: 34

> * What OS do you run geda applications on?

Fedora Core: 16 (1x FC-4, 1x FC-5, 2x FC-6, 3x FC-7, 4x FC-8, 3x FC-9)
Mac OSX: 8
Debian: 8 (3x etch, 3x lenny, 1x sid)
Ubuntu: 7 (4x Hardy Herron, 1x Edgy Eft, 1x kubuntu, 1x edubuntu)
Suse: 5 (1x suse 9.3, 1x suse 10.3)
Gentoo: 3
Solaris: 3
Slackware: 3
NetBSD: 2
Red Hat Enterprise: 1
Mandriva: 1
Cygwin: 1

Cumulated Linux: 39
Cumulated others: 12

This is more than the count of participants because some reported
more than one OS

> * How did you install your copy of geda apps?

Distro Repository: 21
Self built packages (rpm or deb): 3
Compiled from cvs/git source: 7
Compiled from cd image: 2
Compiled from tarball: 2
Compiled from unspecified source: 13

Again, more answers than participants. Many users reported to install
from binary repositories and also compile from source.

> * Which apps do you use. What is your typical workflow?

gschem -> pcb: 29
gschem -> PADS: 3
gschem only: 1
pcb only: 2
verilog : 2
iverilog: 2
gnucap: 2
gerbv was mentioned 11x
gattrib was mentioned 11x

A workflow from gschem to pcb seems to be the major way the suite is
used. Everything else is an exception. Few users reported to use
one of the simulation tools.

> * Did you (have to) modify portions of geda to suit your needs?

Answers mostly fell into one of three categories, each of which
represented about a third of the responses:
a) no
b) wrote/tweaked some scripts, created syms and footprints
c) regular developers gave a big nodd at this question, of course.

However, there are users who modified aspects of geda quite extensively.

> * What is the general flavor of your projects? (analog, digital, HF)

digital: 10
analog: 6
both: 17

No general preference to be spotted here.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
http://lilalaser.de/blog