Re: gEDA-user: SPICE models for voltage regulators: 78L12, 79L12, 78L15, 79L15, ...

On Saturday 06 June 2009, Michael B Allen wrote:
> Where can I get SPICE models for the common 78Lxx and 79Lxx
> series of voltage regulators?

The standard response is "google", but I didn't find anything.

> Or should I just use an equivalent curcuit with a resistor
> and a cap or whatever and assume the regulator is doing it's
> job?

It depends what you are doing.  You could make your own
macromodel based on the specs, to whatever detail you need.  In
my experience, most people who ask about things like this don't
need much detail.

Most models are only valid in certain situations anyway.  You
need to verify the suitability of whatever model you use.  In
most situations, you can probably get away with modeling the
power supply as a voltage source, but if you want to model
signal coupling through the power supply, maybe the fancy model
you download isn't good enough.

> Are there certain manufacturers that are known to provide
> SPICE models for their comonents?

There are lots of kinds of models.  Most manufacturers provide
something for most parts.  It is up to you to decide whether
those models fit your needs.