Re: gEDA-user: Soldering supplies

On Jun 10, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Ben Jackson wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 03:44:26PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>>
>>   I've been soldering for 33 years now, no inexperienced hands
>> here.  The Pb-free stuff I've tried has just plain sucked.  I will
>> try the stuff Philipp mentioned though.
>
> If you've got a nice Metcal you may find that their Sn/Pb compatible
> tips suck for lead free.  They make special (hotter) tips for lead
> free, which I find suck for leaded solder (can't seem to keep them
> wetted).

You have to always keep a ball of solder on the tips,  NEVER wipe the
tip and not reapply a layer of solder.  otherwise the tips oxidize.

I also keep the really hot tips away from the new guys,  cause they
destroy them in one afternoon,  most often by wiping the tip and then
putting back in the holder to cook till the iron self powers off.

I agree that most of the lead frees suck for rework, and hand fab.  I
mostly hate the fluxes used, I get sick to my stomach from the fumes.

Steve