Re: gEDA-user: [PCB] patch: Add build info script and header

On Jun 10, 2009, at 6:30 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:

> 1. Requiring GIT for everyone building pcb sounds extreme; could we
>   auto-detect whether GIT is available?

It should auto detect git.
It was late but the second case statement was for when git was not
present. to fall back on OS based methods (of which I only know mac
osx's way )

> 2. Building buildInfo.h *every* time is bad.  It should only be built
>   if there's some other reason to build pcb (i.e. the commands should
>   go in with the link commands)

I was thinking of that....  I have a plan to make it only replace the
file if it is different.
It needs to check every time....  but not update it.

> 3. For source distributions, it's probably a good idea to distribute
>   build_info.h's git information, but regenerate the user/date
>   information.

Because of the way that the scripts runs,  if git is not present the
#defines for git are not created, so the git based lines are not
included sources, through the ifdefs.

Thanks for the feedback.