Re: gEDA-user: gschem "handles" are tied to schematic size, not screen size

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Peter Clifton<pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 21:39 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>> Perhaps some combination of world size, pixel size, and
>> relative-to-the-line size ranges with rules about which ones have
>> priority?  Then you get mostly consistent handles, with limits on how
>> big/small they can get relative to usability - I.e. if the width of
>> the handle had an upper limit of 50% the length of the line so that
>> half the line is always exposed between the two handles, and a lower
>> limit of 3x the thickness of the line so that it was never obscured,
>> you could otherwise say "keep the handles some fixed number of
>> pixels", constrained by those limits, and it would always be usable.
>
> That might do it..
>
> I remember why it doesn't work with fixed pixel sizes now.. the red cue
> dot on the end of the line eats the grip when you zoom in to do detailed
> work. The line width isn't actually issue unless you're drawing some fat
> lines.

I see that this might be an annoyance with my patch.  I solved it by
editing my $GEDA/share/gEDA/gschem-colormap-darkbg:

-   (net-endpoint       "#ff0000")
+  (net-endpoint       "#ff0000a0")

A bit hacky, but works OK in practice.  I think it's better to not
mess with the cue size, because it affords a visual reference to how
"zoomed-in" you are.

Obligatory screenshot: http://vivara.net/images/gschem_cue_grip.png

Regards,
Mark