Re: gEDA-user: Investigating gEDA for commercial use

On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 09:52 +0100, Chris Smith wrote:
> al davis wrote:
> >
> >> 1. a maintained Windows binary installer; and
> >
> > Nobody here is opposed to it.  Somebody needs to do it, and make
> > a commitment to maintaining it.  How about you?
>
> What exactly is involved in that?  Is it simply (he says! :)) a case of
> compiling, packaging and making available a binary version of the latest
> stable snapshot?

Usually it isn't that hard. From time to time the developers will do it
to ensure it still builds..

Cesar Straus wrote some scripts which will fetch all the dependencies
and build them:

http://repo.or.cz/w/minipack.git

(git clone git://repo.or.cz/minipack.git)

That is easier to use from a released version.

> >> 2. some simple GUI project/workflow manager -- can't really
> >> expect the Windows users to manually edit project files and
> >> use the command line.
> >
> > If you think a GUI is the solution, you are missing the point.
> > A truly good project/workflow manager will sit in the
> > background, invisible, and magically do what you need.
>
> You seem to be implying some kind of telepathy...

Inter I think inter-process communication is what was suggested.

> > We have had a dozen or so attempts at a GUI so far.  None of
> > them have really worked well because they all miss the point.
>
> And what is that point they have all missed?  Someone pointed me at
> xgsch2pcb, which seems to be exactly what I am looking for; what do you
> think are the problems with it?

xgsch2pcb isn't a project manager really, it is just a GUI for the
gschem -> PCB workflow. It wraps the "gsch2pcb" tool in a way which
makes it friendlier for GUI users.

I'm a gEDA developer (and one of the xgsch2pcb developers), and I tend
to use it for projects. I find it convenient to be able to double click
on a schematic in my "project" to open it!

http://git.gpleda.org/?p=xgsch2pcb.git;a=summary

(git clone git://git.gpleda.org/xgsch2pcb.git)

Screenshot:

http://gpleda.org/tools/xgsch2pcb/xgsch2pcb.png

On debian / ubuntu, "apt-get install xgsch2pcb" will get you what you
want.

xgsch2pcb uses PCB compiled with DBus support, and uses that to forward
changes into the open PCB editor. This means it might be awkward to port
to Windows, since you'd have to get Win-DBus working, as well as the
Python DBus bindings using Win-DBus.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton