Re: gEDA-user: pcb wishes

Hi all,

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 00:14 -0500, Mark Rages wrote:
> OK, so if these are possible now, please tell me and make me happy:
>
> 1) offset command.  Clones a line or arc at a user-entered distance.
> Like mechanical CAD programs.
>
> 2) direct entry of absolute / relative co-ordinates ala CAD.   Beats
> counting dots on the snap grid, especially for footprint design.
>
> 3) via placement that respects DRC.
>
> 4) run DRC after recalculating rats.  (I recalculate rats obsessively
> after routing each net, and I want early warning if I broke a rule.)

5) array command. Create an array of the selected objects, either
orthogonal or polar. Would be a handy feature for creating/editing
footprints.

Ad 1) Would typically require a mouse click to indicate the side to
offset to.

Ad 2) I had the impression that absolute and relative coordinates
(distance) were shown in the top right corner of the GTK HID main
window.

Ad 4) Hmm, something like "AutoDRC" comes to mind. Could become a
constant pour of DRC dialog warnings and lead to frustrated newbies. The
"First Time Right" learning experience for others. OTOH, an avalanche of
DRC warning dialogs is always better than a badly designed, manufactured
and smoking pcb, burning your precious silicon ;-)
Important thing here is that all warnings should make sense and explain
the what/where/why, maybe even on a configurable level [newbie,
experienced, expert].

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.