Re: gEDA-user: pcb wishes

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:06:47AM +0200, Bert Timmerman wrote:

> 5) array command. Create an array of the selected objects, either
> orthogonal or polar. Would be a handy feature for creating/editing
> footprints.

You could extend my distalign plugin to do simultaneous x/y distribution.
Of course for footprints I just generate directly with John Luciani's
library.  And for someting more complex than that I used the perl module
SVG::Parser to map Inkscape-placed objects into subcircuits in PCB:

	http://ad7gd.net/geda/gamepad-partial.jpg

> Ad 4) Hmm, something like "AutoDRC" comes to mind. Could become a
> constant pour of DRC dialog warnings and lead to frustrated newbies.

It used to be worse to make a board and THEN drc.  The interface was
hopeless.  At least with the fancy new one they can work through the
problems if they make a bunch.

Oh, and if you get yourself into trouble with vias you could try my
"jostle" plugin which I wrote expressly for moving wires out of the way
to place vias.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>