Re: gEDA-user: Is there a *official* JFET symbol in gEDA?

On Jun 26, 2009, at 11:51 AM, Anthony Shanks wrote:

> I see, I didn't know whats how spice-sdb works, never really used that
> backend, just the spice one.
>
> What do you mean by overloading? Nearly every symbol shipped with
> gschem

Those are just the starting points for a proper set of project symbol
libraries.

> has a device attribute (caps, resistors, etc.), so it's safe to
> use the device attribute unless people are manually deleting it,

Of course people are changing it to fit their project's flow.

> thus
> freeing up refdes (this is how every other schematic/netlisting flow I
> have ever used works in the professional field). In what instance
> would people be setting the device to a part number?

Oh, for example, when the device= attribute identifies the part for
the bill of materials. Many library symbols have the part number as
the device= attribute (bav70lt1-1.sym for example).

> spNet is designed
> for the purpose of spice simulations,

Have you tried the spice-sdb back end to gnetlist? It has its quirks,
but it's eminently usable. I've designed a 6000 transistor mixed-
signal chip using it. Stuart is really nice about fixing problems
with it. At the very least, you should understand the existing tools
before making something incompatible.

> so if people are using discrete
> analog components and subckts this shouldn't be an issue. If people
> are using spice models of the components they are using this is taken
> care of with the value field.

You should be using the model-name= attribute for that. That's the
standard. Don't overload value=.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx