Re: gEDA-user: spNet v0.9.2 released

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Bill Gatliff<bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John P. Doty wrote:
>> Anthony Shanks wrote:
>>
>>> http://spnet.code-fusion.net
>>>
>>> More of a beta/trial release, but I've done considerable testing with
>>> both my symbol libraries and the default gEDA libraries and everything
>>> for the most part seems smooth. For those of you who aren't familar
>>> with spNet, it's a spice netlister for gEDA that can netlist
>>> hierarchical schematics using the spice .subckt directive (which are
>>> easier to read and simulate faster).
>>>
>> Note that there was never any serious difficulty doing this with
>> gnetlist -g spice-sdb and a makefile.
>>

> You're a real buzzkill this week, you know that?  :)
>
> First you don't like my idea, and now you don't like Anthony's either!
> :) :)

Haha yeah, except I'm not sure what he says is accurate and I'm not
sure what the resistance is against a hierarchical netlister (without
workarounds like makefiles and such). Every single industry level
netlister I have ever seen does this and I have worked with plenty as
a student and now an engineer in the industry. As someone who manually
looks at netlists on a daily basis, flat netlists are very hard to
read and simulate slow in spice simulators. I'm not even sure a
makefile solution would really work anyway since flat netlisting each
cell separately in a makefile (which I assume John was talking about)
would not be able to automatically produce the subckt statements need
inside the main spice file. Correct me if I am wrong.

>>> It also has many more features
>>> detailed in the documentation (up to date now on the homepage). If
>>> anybody has any questions or any issues with spNet let me know.
>>>

> I love the website and level of documentation--- keep up the good work.

Thanks I appreciate it. I'm also in the middle of writing a
replacement for gspiceui.