Re: gEDA-user: git HEAD PCB now supports user-defined holes in polygons

On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 12:27 +0200, Levente Kovacs wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 00:38:16 +0100
> Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > git HEAD PCB now supports user-defined holes in polygons
>
> Hi Peter,
>

> This feature is cool. Thank you for implementing it.
>
> I found that it makes a funny thing when you move a cutout corner outside the
> polygon.

Yes, the legality checking of such polygons isn't very good. This stems
from the fact PCB's existing legality checking for user-defined polygons
is really quite poor. (It lets you draw / drag to make polygons it will
then assert() or crash on if built with full debugging).

> I wish we could define pads as polygons, so with this feature any kind of
> pads could be implemented. Solder-mask cut outs would be nice too.

That would be quite neat - it probably requires some file format
additions. For now, I believe (aside from in my "pours" branches where
the feature is disabled), you can draw rectangular pads with the rect
polygon tool.

Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,