Re: gEDA-user: moving slotting to pcb?

DJ Delorie wrote:
If we want to optimize the selection of footprints, gatrib should become the
frontend of some sort of database like backend containing all sorts of parts
the user (company/worldwide ?) previously used, call it gparts if you want.

http://www.delorie.com/pcb/component-dbs.html

I was reading component-dbs.html and can't figure out ABI.
What's that acromym for?  Is it a typo for App Program Interface,
or something in database lingo?  Is B for brokering, like you describe
an app requesting data and a gschem plugin delivering it?

From component-dbs.html: "One thing that needs to be done, enhancement-wise,
is to be able to mark each attribute in a schematic symbol with some
information about where it came from - an attribute set by the user
is more important than an inferred attribute based on a database search."

I like the above idea.  It's general.  It applies to a gschem-->layout flow
for boards or standard cell chip layout.  Pin mapping could even apply
to standard cells, (and keep flexibility high for John D.).

Having a rule set in gafrc sounds good to me,
(rules for narrowing database search results to a users preferences).

From component-dbs.html: "You'd have to be smart about adding "in-between"
attributes, like if you had a value and wanted a footprint, you'd have to
include footprint-class in order to get from one to another. "

Some of the above "in-between" attributes could come from a rule set in gafrc.

John
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX