gEDA-user: moving slotting to pcb?

A random thought occurred to me today - why does gschem do slotting at
all?  Why does it care about footprints and packages?  Would it make
more sense, from a design flow perspective, to just send the symbolic
information to pcb and let pcb assign footprints and pinouts?

That way, gschem does all the symbolic stuff, and pcb does all the
physical stuff.  It would, of course, mean major changes to pcb to
handle "elements without footprints yet" and stuff, as well as mapping
multiple refdes's to single elements.  Probably make power pin
management more complex too, unless we came up with a new way to
manage "hidden" pins.

Anyway, food for thought.