gEDA-user: gEDA/gaf autotools build system - "expected" failure making gschem.html?

Hi there,

I'm working through bringing up a new machine with the gEDA suite from
git HEAD and I thought I'd take the opportunity to create patches to
tidy up some of the autotools files while I'm doing it, but I wanted
to check the intent of the current behaviour before opening
bugs/filing patches in case it's actually working the way it should
be.

One issue I've run into is the groff requirement. If I don't have
groff html driver installed, running configure with the default
options gives the following transcript in config.log:

configure:12599: checking whether groff has an html driver
groff: can't find `DESC' file
groff:fatal error: invalid device `html' (try installing the `groff' package?)
configure:12608: result: no

Then when I run make,  I get:

No working groff available: cannot create gschem.html
make: ***[gschem.html] Error 1

What's the correct/preferred behaviour?

1) what it does now - error out during build
2) Warn instead of error on the inability to create gschem.html, but
continue the build.
3) Fail at configure if groff html driver is not present i.e. treat it
as a hard prerequisite
4) something else

Cheers
Gareth