Re: gEDA-user: web version of gschem/pcb

    Web applications that are all javascript and local files can be run
    offline.
    --- On Mon, 6/20/11, Colin D Bennett <colin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

      From: Colin D Bennett <colin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      Subject: Re: gEDA-user: web version of gschem/pcb
      To: geda-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Date: Monday, June 20, 2011, 3:13 PM

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:00:53 -0700 (PDT)
    Josh Jordan <[1]outerspaceman81@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > web-geda would save and load files in the current geda format and
    > only draw in SVG.  SVG is really efficient to parse in javascript,
    > panning and zooming will as responsive or more responsive than
    > desktop-geda.  SVG also has built in events such as mouseover and
    > click that work on vector elements.
    I can't see a benefit to doing any serious work with a web application,
    but it would be very useful to have a lightweight web-geda viewer to
    allow users browsing a web site to click a schematic and be able to
    zoom/pan the schematic right within the browser.
    How is a web app better than a local application?  Certainly web apps
    have plenty of inherent problems, like what if your internet connection
    goes does, or the server gets DDOS'd, or... you get the idea.  There
    has to be a compelling reason to add the extra complexity and machinery
    of a web application.  For example, Google Docs is nice in some ways
    for distributed teams to collaboratively share and edit documents.
    (I won't say Google Docs is great, but it's better than e-mailing
    documents back and forth for edits.)
    Regards,
    Colin