Re: gEDA-user: PCB DRC accuracy?

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 01:29:02PM -0700, Russell Dill wrote:

> I've always worried about this too, especially when doing a design in
> metric and sending it to an imperial board house. My guess is you need
> to calculate the worst case error and add that to the DRC. The
> difficult part would be finding all the possible sources of roundoff.
>
> Perhaps if you could translate the design to a mil grid with a given
> precision and *then* run DRC.

We are working on moving pcb toward metric base units -- then
a mm would be 10^6 nm rather than "about 3937.00787 cmils"
like we have now.

mils would also be an integer (254) number of base units, so
hopefully a lot of precision issues will go away.

--
Andrew Poelstra
Email: asp11 at sfu.ca OR apoelstra at wpsoftware.net
Web:   http://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew/