gEDA-user: Ngspice vs. Gnucap vs. ???

Hi --

After playing around with gEDA and LTSpice, I tried running a SPICE
netlist using ngspice.  Unfortunately, ngspice barfed saying "internal
error -- segmentation violation".  The same netlist works like a champ
with LTSpice.

So that raises a question: is there any consensus amongst gEDA gurus
which of the GPLed SPICE simulators is the better one?  Would anybody
care to opine about whether gnucap or ngspice is more stable?  Easier
to use?  More feature-rich?  More mature?  Still developing
vs. moribund?  I'd like to get a feeling for the "marketplace" before
I devote a lot of time to learning (and possibly hacking) one or the
other.

And are there other GPLed simulators out there?  Maybe something which
handles ibis models?

Thanks for your opinions,

Stuart