Re: gEDA-user: PCB Gtk port

On Mar 1, 2005, at 5:52 PM, Igor Izyumin wrote:
I must admit, that I do not notice any difference. In fact, I don't care. I was able to read text, when characters were displayed using 5x7 pixels, I still am able to read my text on the X11 display. Don't get me wrong, I do not mind, if this is possible, but I do not want to be forced to do so.

And IMHO thinge are implemented badly wrong, Font rendering has to be done by the X server, not the application. This is the way X11 works. If we give up the X11 philosophy part by part, what reasons are there to keep X11 at all? X11 does have lots of disatvantages, I hope noone forces us to give up its advantages.

X11 is a badly antiquated system.

Like, say, cars? Just because something was developed a long time ago doesn't mean it's automatically trash.

x86 is a badly antiquated 30-year-old architecture, yet people still buy x86 machines. (Yeah, bad example, as x86 *should* be left to die, but you see my point.)

It was developed a long time ago, and changed very little since then. Many of the things that a windowing system was supposed to do in the 1980s are not needed today. Many of the things that are expected of a windowing system today were not needed in the 80s. I think it's quite obvious that a modern OS needs to have antialiased TrueType fonts, but regular X11 does not support them. What do you suggest should have been done?

Please forgive me for jumping in, but I think the issue here is client-side vs. server-side rendering of fonts.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "I've watched Harley people throw up
Cape Coral, FL                      on the ceiling."    -Krissi