Re: gEDA-user: PCB Gtk port

Mario Klebsch wrote:

I must admit, that I do not notice any difference. In fact, I don't care. I was able to read text, when characters were displayed using 5x7 pixels, I still am able to read my text on the X11 display. Don't get me wrong, I do not mind, if this is possible, but I do not want to be forced to do so.

And IMHO thinge are implemented badly wrong, Font rendering has to be done by the X server, not the application. This is the way X11 works. If we give up the X11 philosophy part by part, what reasons are there to keep X11 at all? X11 does have lots of disatvantages, I hope noone forces us to give up its advantages.

X11 is a badly antiquated system. It was developed a long time ago, and changed very little since then. Many of the things that a windowing system was supposed to do in the 1980s are not needed today. Many of the things that are expected of a windowing system today were not needed in the 80s. I think it's quite obvious that a modern OS needs to have antialiased TrueType fonts, but regular X11 does not support them. What do you suggest should have been done?

Noone argues, that the application should be written in a way, that it is impossible to use all this modern, bandwith and cpu time consuming stuff (in german, I would call it Plüsch), but it should be possilbe to leave if off, and this decision should be left to the person compiling the program.

That's always nice whenever it's easy to do, but sometimes these things are awfully difficult. It's basically a question of where to draw the line with regard to portability. Make something depend on lots of libraries, and it won't run on some computers. Make it portable and self-contained, and it becomes large, slow, and difficult to maintain.