Re: gEDA-user: Building geda under Windows

On Friday 04 March 2005 21:24, Bob Paddock wrote:
> On Friday 04 March 2005 06:18 pm, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> > Here's my opinion about that:  Windows users should come to
> > gEDA on Linux, rather than porting gEDA to Windows.  I view gEDA as a
> > "killer app" which might convert some engineers to Linux.
>
> The engineers are not the problem.  It is the IT department and the people
> that control the  purse strings that are the problem.
> Find the January 9th Dilbert, it was written because of running
> PCB on Cygwin under Windows.  The IT department forcibly removed Cygwin,
> on a weekend when I could not defend my machine.  My engineer boss had
> no problems with me using PCB/Cygwin.

****Big Snip****

This thread has been interesting. Thing is, the events described are an
example of social engineering that is based on the following:

1.) Corporate kingdom building.

2.) Managerial investment protection and justification as related to the
      chosen installed platform.

Now, I'm pretty much an OS agnostic in that I know from experience that
Linux, various flavors of *NIX and even MS Windows all have place in
modern, well run businesses and organizations.

> My IT guy as stated that "Linux is only a toy".    That shows the real
> problem.

Your IT guy is a technological Jethro who has no future or else he is related
to the CEO.

Best regards

Marvin Dickens