Re: gEDA-user: Building geda under Windows

On Friday 04 March 2005 06:18 pm, Stuart Brorson wrote:

> Here's my opinion about that:  Windows users should come to
> gEDA on Linux, rather than porting gEDA to Windows.  I view gEDA as a
> "killer app" which might convert some engineers to Linux.

The engineers are not the problem.  It is the IT department and the people
that control the  purse strings that are the problem.
Find the January 9th Dilbert, it was written because of running
PCB on Cygwin under Windows.  The IT department forcibly removed Cygwin,
on a weekend when I could not defend my machine.  My engineer boss had
no problems with me using PCB/Cygwin.

> Why make  it a Windows app when it runs best under Linux anyway?

Logic has no place here.  :-(  After all we are discussing running good
software on a bad platform.

>  Porting gEDA to Windows just creates another clunky EDA application.

No, it makes an additional clunky Windows application, lets not insult
gEDA. :-)

Like it or not gEDA and PCB need to run on Windows, even if it is under Cygwin
and/or Mingw.  While Windows is certainly more evil that all other platforms,
it should not get any less treatment than any other platform.

Seeing good non-Windows EDA applications on Windows is good marketing to get
everyone on board to move to a way from Windows.

My IT guy as stated that "Linux is only a toy".    That shows the real
problem.