Re: gEDA-user: Building geda under Windows

On Saturday 05 March 2005 05:40 am, Mario Klebsch wrote:

> Each platform gets that much treatment as its developers participate in
> the development of gEDA. If you want to increase windows support, you
> are invited to work on it.

I was waiting for that.

The inevitable Open Source "If you do not like it, fix it yourself", mantra.
It just came up on the AVR-GCC list this week, and it came up on the
Mailfilter list in the past.  What Open Source list does it not inevitably
come up on?  To my knowledge everyone here, and every other Open Source
project, is volunteering their valuable time, for which they get to little
thanks.

I have been working on Windows support as evidenced by helping
Karel get his Windows build instructions set up.  I've submitted a few PCB
patches so far to easy the pain of new users (IE: My boss who uses Windows).
What do you suggest I do next?  I am willing to help, but I'm not willing to
waste time duplicating efforts that other people might already be working on,
or try to hit moving targets.   I am waiting for the dust to settle in the PCB
GTK port then I am going to try to build that under Cygwin and/or Mingw.
Also waiting for the dust to settle on the gEDA-DEV list before even trying
again to get gEDA to run on Windows.

In answering Christoph Lechner original question that started this thread
Karel Kulhavy  wrote:

"I have created a guide for dummies with pictures for PCB under Windows:
http://twiki.twibright.com/bin/view/Main/PCBUnderWindows "

I know Christoph asked about gEDA but getting Cygwin setup can still be done
by following Karel's PCB guide.