Re: gEDA-user: Building geda under Windows

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 09:57:02PM -0500, John Dozsa wrote:

Their managers will obviously support them once they see the tools can do the job.
@work:
No, they won't, at least in a major company here in Germany I know well enough. The IT department (even located in a different city) won't allow anything besides Windows. Period. There's no use in trying to convince my "boss" (or rather "contact" since I run my own - very small - business) that Linux is suited better for this particular job. He's not the one who decides that (he's a management guy in charge of approx. 100 people, to give you some starting point about the management structure). Neither does his boss (team leader). And neither does his boss' boss (department leader) - though that one might have just enough influence to at least suggest such a thing.
One of the first things I did was installing Cygwin so I had at least some of my familiar tools (heck, there doesn't even seem to be anything like "tail -f" on Windows!). I'm very glad that's possible.
My own application is written in pure Python, the platform-specific code is minimal (only the serial port routines and some curses keycode differences). I can develop and test the code - at least the hardware-independant part - at home (=> Unix) and put it into production (after further testing) at work (=> Windows). I could even grab my Laptop and drop it right in for one of the PCs at work if one of them fails.
Ideally, I'd like to see all applications to be that portable, so I can use them on whatever platform I have to use. Convincing the IT department to install a special application is one thing, but persuading them to maintain a whole new platform because the new application doesn't run on the existing one is an entirely different thing.

@home:
One of the problems of "Migration to Linux" is that you're not only changing the OS, but also a major subset of the applications. OpenOffice, Mozilla, etc. - as much as I hate them because of technical and resource-wasting reasons - are very helpful in that respect. You can switch the applications one after another and once the users are accustomed to all of them, you "just" have to change the OS.
I've effectively given up on converting former pure-Windows users to Linux. You'll have to accustom them to a major part of the applications they'll run on Linux first. Otherwise it's just too much difference for them and they'll install Windows again. Had that several times. All in all, it was just a waste of time to both of us.

Psychology:
People don't like changes. If you want them to change, you have to do it slowly and carefully. Move one piece at a time. Show them it's very much like what they're used to and help them get accustomed to and even take advantage of the differences. If possibly, let them switch back and forth between the old and the new app, so they can use the old one if they're in hurry and the new one otherwise. Apart from being a real "life-saver" in some situations it gives them a sense of security: If the new one doesn't work, they still got the old one to get the job done.

Technical rant:
What I hate most are applications that won't even run on most Unix systems, only on Linux/x86 (yikes, some of them not even on Linux/PPC!). It's almost as ugly as Windows-only applications, the only difference - if any - being that most of them are Open Source so I can fix them myself.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/