Re: gEDA-user: New beta version of gEDA Suite CD up -- please test!

Stuart Brorson wrote:

Hi --

I put a new version of the gEDA Suite CD up on my website:

http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/

[. . . . snip . . .]

Not that I use cygwin that much, but I have it installed on my work
laptop and I decided to give the CD a shot, just to see what
happens...

So your law works in this case as well, trying to launch the installer
gives an error message "Program too big to fit in memory". I don't
know who is reporting this, running it in gdb didn't really help
either since gdb just prints this message and hangs. Gdb also
complains that the installer.exe is built for GNU/Linux which it
doesn't know about.

I did some quick Googling. This message is coming from Cygwin itself. There are various configurations you can twiddle in Cygwin which might solve this problem. Here's one thread which I found with some info:

I'd imagine that 10 minutes of Googling would solve your problem.

I did see that and try it but it didn't help

I don't currently have access to a Cygwin machine, so I can't debug
this one first-hand.  Anyway, it looks like fiddling with the Cygwin
config might help.  If you do find a fiddle which fixes the problem,
please report it and I can put it in a note included on the CD.

FWIW, the installer works on all my Linux machines. Why run Cygwin on
Windoze when you can just run Linux natively?

I will probably have to, I just don't really like dual booting and my second PC seems to always cause odd problems with Linux (win2k fine though). Cygwin just seems the answer to my problems of very gradual open source migration (I have PCB running on cygwin BTW). The best of both worlds so to speak. Plus, I feel comfortable in Windows at the moment, although I do profer the bash prompt.

Finally, manual install instructions are included in the INSTALL file
on the CD. You might be able to get a running gEDA Suite by doing a
manual install.

I did think that maybe that I should just do a manual install, but (I havn't tried this with the newly posted image) when running 'make install' the first configure script that ran said that building gEDA/gaf on cygwin was unsupported and stopped.

Stuart