Re: gEDA-user: POLL: On politeness

At 14:27 27-2-2006, you wrote:
On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 01:08:11AM +0100, Bill Sloman wrote:
> In the meantime, lets all try to be as polite and smarmy as we can -
> it is complete bullshit, but I've found that while I am very quick to
> realise that I am being flattered because somebody wants something,
> the flattery still motivates me to  do what is being asked!

If I get a request in e-mail on Ronja it usually begins with a flattery.
So when I see flattery, I skip the flattery and start reading again. I
thought that I could save you some time by leaving it out..

Everybody skips the flattery - they just note that it is there. It's like "please" and "thank you" in conversation - the rational information content is zero, but the emotional content is appreciable.

.Nice words don't mean anything. I can puke a shitload of nice words in
a minute. They are dirt cheap.

Perfectly correct, but this misses the point that they are effective at an emotional level in a way that by-passes rational considerations.

Example:

gEDA is a wonderful package. It actually allowed me to make
considerable amount of electronic designs in a professional way. The
fact that it has thigs like autoplacer and autorouter that even work
somehow practially is amazing considering that there are only 3
developers that are doing it in their spare time and have presumably
lots of other things to do in their lifes.

Every time I design and see that quite reasonably designed user
interface draw quickly X primitives on the screen, I feel happiness that
other people wrote it for free and gave me this tool as a gift. The
boards produced make a better impression on me than those from Eagle
because the copper filling is not sloppy and the overall design of the
system shows everywhere that it was written by real programmers who
have style and can do things in an elegant way.

gEDA opens up new gateways to future improvement of user controlled
technology and all this is credit of those people who wrote it!

Good, but much to long. Roughly equivalent to the old-fashioned courteous phrases like "I have the honour to be your most diligent, loyal and obedient servant" that you can find in very old (several hundred years old) textbooks on writing letters in English. As has been pointed out, overdone flattery is usually recognised as sarcasm.

Try "gEDA is great, but I think that it would be even better if ...."

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen