Re: gEDA-user: PCB: Stale rat's nest?

On Thursday 02 March 2006 18:49, Ales Hvezda wrote:

> > * Seeing that the log always contains a few error messages ...
> 	You can control this via an rc keyword in a *gschemrc file.

Ok, noted.

> 	gschem does not support this sort of "transparent zooming/panning".
> 	I really ought to disable the ability to even do this.

Please don't!  It's extremely handy.

> > * Changing the Zoom level should *never* cause zoom in/out events to be
> > added to the undo history...
> 	This is a religious issue.  Different people have very different
> 	opinions on this.

Perhaps, but consider this:  If I zoom in or out, have I changed the content
of the schematic?  A quick test shows that the current zoom setting doesn't
get saved into a gSchem file anyway, so why even add these zoom events into
the undo history?

> > * As you know, most standard 74xx logic contain multiple gates per
> > package...
> >
> > * gSchem should never require the user to manually give each part a
> > unique name, e.g. U1, C5, R22...
>
> 	In gEDA/gaf, the user is responsible for assigning refdes packages
> 	and slotting.

Nevertheless, the program should *still* number the parts as they're added.
After all, the person drawing the schematic will surely know "ok, this gate
will need to be in this package over here to keep it close to part Xyz, and
draw the parts in order so that this happens automatically.

> 	Historically gEDA/gaf and PCB were developed at different times and
> 	by different people.  Maybe in the future things will come together,
> 	but for now they are different.

Fair enough.  Is it possible for the user to alter the program's settings to
do this?  Or rather, could this be made into an option?

> 	gEDA/gaf does not only target PCB.  PCB is just one of many possible
> 	backends, so it will not limit available symbols to only PCB.

True, but as it says on the website and in a few places, PCB has become the
defacto standard layout editor to be used with gEDA.

> > * Keeping with the 7400 example.. Place four NAND gates from a 7400 on
> > the schematic.  How do I order the gates so that each one is assigned to
> > 1/4 of a 7400 package, with the proper pin numbering?
>
> 	This is the designer's responsibility IMO.  Truely automated
> 	mechanisms cannot read the designer's mind.  Sooner or later you
> 	(or your circuit) will be burned by them.

True, however in many cases it's not an issue.  The reason I say that is that
you still have to place a part on the board before you can add nets to it,
and when placed, you'll already know what gates are already there.

The slotting and numbering takes place as you add the part to the schematic,
and in Eagle for example, it's evident which gates belong to which packages
( 7400 - IC2a, 7400 - IC2b, etc).  It's really just a matter of looking for
the first part that has a free slot when you add a new gate to a circuit, and
assign that gate to the free slot.

Why not make this an optional feature?  If the user doesn't like the on-demand
numbering, they could just turn the feature off entirely.

> 	How did you create the board layout?  What are the exact commands
> 	you use here?   Ah, the lovely geda manager, yes, that is broken.

As I am not keyboard-oriented (I prefer a click-and-drool interface), I
couldn't tell you the commands specifically.  What I can tell you is that I
created the schematic using the exact proceedure outlined in the bug listing.

I did switch frequently between the gSchem window and a few other, unrelated
programs.  Perhaps the loss of focus caused a bug to appear.  The broken
schematic file is attached to this message (broken-four-gates.sch).  Note
that this is just a test circuit with no actual purpose (I'm not even sure
what it would do if you actually built it :-) )

> 	Pleaes don't use the geda manager.  It is my fault that this
> neglected program has been distributed at all.  Sorry.

Ok, I will refrain from using it.

> 	Did you read the above tutorial before attempting to from schematic
> 	to PCB?

No, I didn't.  In fact, I never knew about the tutorial (I probably overlooked
it).  Anyway, I have it open in another window as I write this.  I'll go over
it and see if I missed something.

> > I really hope to see either gEDA or KiCAD (the other one I'm tracking)
> > surpass Eagle some day soon, so I can retire that damn crippleware of
> > a program (Eagle) that I've used for way too long.
>
> 	gEDA/gaf is not a replacement for Eagle.  It does things very
> 	differently intentionally.

Well, not so much a replacement for Eagle as much as a stand-in, i.e.
something that I can use to do the job with as little fuss as possible.

> 	You could always pay for the next step up for Eagle.

And *that* costs more money than my fiance (our only source of income) makes
in a month.  Eagle is good, but it isn't *that* good.

> It seems like it meets most of your needs now. :-)

It did up to the point where I decided to try something "big".  Eagle has a
size limit of 4x3 inches (some 160x100 mm?) in the freebie version, and
you're not allowed to sell things to make with it.  In order to go bigger
than 4x3 inches in either direction, and to be able to sell what I make, I'd
have to cough up nearly $1200.  Since my stuff is all FOSH(ardware) anyway,
it seems silly to pay that kind of money for it.

--
"Sometimes paranoia can be helpful. Usually it
isn't, and when you learn that, life improves."
Vanessa Dannenberg
v 20060123 1
C 29300 61500 1 0 0 7400-1.sym
{