gEDA-user: help with linux install please

I'm having a hell of time getting out of the starting gate with Debian Linux on my Dell latitude CPxJ laptop. The machine can boot from the CD, but bombs with the following message:
boot failed

After searching for a solution, I'm inclined to believe that my hardware is at fault. Seems that redhat and mandrake will install out of the box, or so the article says, although people have been able to get Debian to install. They offered no specific help, however.

Anyway, can anyone help out? Maybe I should just go with mandrake or fc4

gene