Re: gEDA-user: help with linux install please

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 07:03:16PM -0500, Hal2000 wrote:
> I'm having a hell of time getting out of the starting gate with Debian
> Linux on my Dell latitude CPxJ laptop.  The machine can boot from the
> CD, but bombs with the following message:
> boot failed

I also tried Debian many years ago and failed with similar problem -
this time the boot CD always segfaulted faster than I managed to select
all packages.

The solution to that problem was installing Linux From Scratch.

> After searching for a solution, I'm inclined to believe that my hardware
> is at fault.  Seems that redhat and mandrake will install out of the

My hardware then definitely wasn't at fault. If your hardware would be
at fault, the other two distro would probably fail as well. You can try
memtest and compilation of gcc, glibc and Linux kernel. These show
a faulty RAM with quite high probability.

> box, or so the article says, although people have been able to get
> Debian to install.  They offered no specific help, however.
>
> Anyway, can anyone help out? Maybe I should just go with mandrake or fc4

I would suggest LFS or OpenBSD.

CL<