Re: gEDA-user: OT: lead-free question

Stuart Brorson wrote:
Hi folks. I'm sorry for the off-topic post, but this is the best collection of relevant talent that I know of.

A surface-mount chip I've been using is now only available as a lead-free product. I've done *nothing* with lead-free stuff...Can I safely solder it using my standard lead-bearing solder?

Although I don't have real world experience with lead free stuff yet,
we are looking at it at my day job.

>From what I understand, you need to make sure your lead-free
components are still compatible with a lead-based process. Some are
and some aren't. Threrefore, contact your vendor and discuss it with
them.

Stuart

I have heard that there exist lead free components that are not compatible with traditional lead based
processes, but I've yet to see one. In fact, every part that I've seen has a tin matte plating. I hear this
from vendors, but I have never see it (Other than parts that never were lead compatible even prior to
RoHS...). I am beginning to wonder how much of this is FUD..

Stuart - Do you know anyone who has actually seen any...?... For that matter, has anyone on this list *actually*
seen it?

Best

Marvin