Re: gEDA-user: OT: lead-free question

There probably are issues that revolve around metal to metal interfaces.
High voltages might cause migration and leave surfaces expossed for
oxidation for example. I suspect that for normal voltage circuits the
true issues are the temperatures that devices can withstand during
assembly. To submit an older device to the higher temperature that is
required by new solders might cause older devices to fail.

Steve Meier

Given that Lead based solder melt at around 190 degrees C and silver
based solder melts at around 220 degrees C the tips of soldering irons
today are around 250 degrees C today  and are expected to rise to >300
degrees C for lead free.

Old part

focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa2613.pdf

Max lead temperature 260 degrees C