Re: gEDA-user: Prototyping with SMTs

Samuel

I spend more time these days drawing pcbs and just demo'ing with the actual
parts.  For some things there is no other way to go: e.g. smt's that cannot be
realistically breadboarded and circuits where your pcb traces become ckt
elements (fast analog work).

When it gets to the point of ordering a $35 breakout board or ordering a $33
custom board with exactly your circuits on it ... there is really nothing
standing in the way of 'breadboarding with pcbs'.

You'll still want to have a selection of .100" breadboad adapters for your
favorite footprints, since there is so much more selection of silicon
(especially discrete transistors) available in smt only.  This way you can
still incrementally test analog parts of a design or certain sub-blocks as
needed.  Of course you do this as much as possible before jumping off on a new
pcb design.

One other low-ball approach I use occassionally is to mount small smt parts
upside down on .100" radio shack proto board with double stick tape.  I add
.100 pins (beforehand actually) and hand solder poor man's smt breakout leads
from 30ga. kynar wire wrap wire with tweezers and my 1/64" XYtronic iron.  You
can go down to about .025" pitch without getting really crazy.  This is really
a late-night last-ditch technique but it works fine.  put leads between the
smt pads on the part (works esp. well for leadless parts) and the .100" pins,
starting with the .100" pins first, trimming and bending to shape with the
tweezers.  Hit it with a little ball of solder and drag the ball off the part
and back up the lead for a tight little joint.

If you have to do parts with more than 14 pins this way, you'll get really
really bored.

Phil