Re: gEDA-user: PCB text/symbol sizes

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:15:23AM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > I tried changing the thickness parameter in all the SymbolLines in my
> > .pcb file to 1000 (they start at 800), but that had no effect; changing
> > it to 2000 did change the thickness to (ie 10 mils).
> >
> > Looking at the source I can see what's happening, but JOOI why is the
> > number in the SymbolLine not an actual thickness?
>
> The thickness is scaled just like everything else in a symbol.  If you
> have the scale set to 50%, the thickness is halved.

That's not quite what I found - setting the scale to either 50% or 200%
the text still has the same line thickness (8mil).  At 400% the
thickness has increased to 16mil, but the text is huge by this point.

I think this is because the minimum width is 8mil, and the "800" in the
SymbolLine[] actually means 4mil.

> In the latest HID pcb, I added code to automatically grow the
> thickness of symbol lines to meet the DRC minSilk parameter.  This is
> around line 1784 of src/draw.c in cvs; replace the 800 with
> PCB->minSlk in both places.

Thanks, that sounds helpful!

Chris