Re: gEDA-user: footprint creation war

Randall Nortman wrote:
On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 04:47:13PM -0500, Phil Taylor wrote:

Randall,

I was talking about file type footprints.  Are you using python to make m4
scripts or to make file-type footprints?

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant that I first tried m4, and then gave up
on it and switched to using python to create file-type footprints.  In
principle, I essentially replaced m4 with python, though the mechanics
of it are a bit different.  (I run the python scripts manually to
produce file-type footprints, instead of the m4 script output going
straight into the pcb file.)  With a little hacking, it would be
possible to use python in the same way m4 is currently used, though I
don't see a whole lot of benefit to it.

indeed. In fact I plan on eventually moving the m4 invocation to build time instead of run time. There is no reason at all for using python/perl/etc to write out m4 ;)

-Dan