Re: gEDA-user: basic anti-EMI design q

On 3/23/06, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The X cap would go across the +5V and ground. You would use two Y caps
> > -- one from +5V to earth ground and the other from ground (or return)
> > to earth ground.
>
> Ok, someone tell me the practical difference between an X cap and a
> generic cap.  Note: no line voltages here; max 24 vac.

X and Y caps meet safety agency requirements for dielectric withstand,
discharge and flammability. They are rated for either 125 or 250VAC
operation at 85 degC. You may not need the voltage rating but meeting
the other specifications is probably a good thing to have.

The X and Y caps that I have used were made by RIFA
http://www.evox-rifa.com.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org