Re: gEDA-user: basic anti-EMI design q

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 11:18:55PM -0500, John Luciani wrote:
> On 3/23/06, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > The X cap would go across the +5V and ground. You would use two Y caps
> > > -- one from +5V to earth ground and the other from ground (or return)
> > > to earth ground.
> >
> > Ok, someone tell me the practical difference between an X cap and a
> > generic cap.  Note: no line voltages here; max 24 vac.
> >

> X and Y caps meet safety agency requirements for dielectric withstand,
> discharge and flammability. They are rated for either 125 or 250VAC
> operation at 85 degC. You may not need the voltage rating but meeting
> the other specifications is probably a good thing to have.

Or you can put the device into an closed metal case. Then you don't need
flammability. Who cares care if it bursts into flames inside? Like my
Ronja receiver. A resistor was completely cremated and I couldn't find
out why it was malfunctioning until I took off the lid. You should sniff
the stench!

CL<