Re: gEDA-user: basic anti-EMI design q

At 04:05 24-3-2006, you wrote:
DJ Delorie wrote:

<snipped lots of sensible stuff>

Also, many regulators don't have stellar rejection of glitches at their input so you might look specifically for that when picking one. If you can tolerate it, you might be able to improve things by cascading 2 regulators. Depends on spectral content of what you're trying to reject. I've done that in a case where I really wanted a very quite supply. I used an off the shelf regulator to produce something larger than I needed and used a custom design to further improve it.

The high frequency ripple ejection you get from linear regulators isn't impressive - it starts rolling off between 1kHz and 10kHz and decreases in proportion to frequency above that. The obvious way of dealing with this is to add a passive filter on the input side of the regulator. Most people put a 100nF ceramic disk or metalised film capacitor on the input side of a regulator anyway; if you add something like 10uF of electrolytic capacitor in parallel with that you've got an impedance of 10R at 1.5kHz - and you can make it into a RC filter, rolling off the ripple from 1.5kHz with a 10R resistor, or you can get ambitious, and make an LC filter with a 1mH of inductor. A 1mH inductor is bulky - around half an inch/10mm in every dimension - and expensive at a dollar or two, but it gives you a two pole filter until the electrolytic capacitor starts looking like a resistor at 100kHz or so. Eventually the parallel capacitance of the inductor windings by-pass the inductance - typical self-resonant frequencies for 1mH inductor fall around 2MHz - so you want to add a non-wound ferrite bead inductor in series with your wound 1mH inductor.

This gives you much better high frequency attenuation than a second regulator.

Bill Sloman, Nijmegen