Re: gEDA-user: basic anti-EMI design q

DJ Delorie wrote:

Do you have a way to tell how the interference is getting in?  Is it
the supplies or the signal lines?

The only thing I've *seen* is a pulse on the latch line from the
computer to the latch.  Remember, I'm just using the parallel port,
and there's a 10 foot ribbon cable connecting it to the board.  It's
one of the things I'm trying to get rid of ;-) However, the pulse
looked digital, not like EMI, except that the software couldn't have
put it there (the timing didn't match the "real" signals).

Occasionally I see the results of glitches on the LCD panels, which
means the 9600 baud line is getting corrupted some too.  But since
it's bit-banged, that could be the latches too.

ah. I've seen garbage on long parallel port cables.

But the cs8900a has separate digital and analog pins; I assume they
did that for *some* reason.

I've done it to prevent digital driver currents from flowing in the same bond wires which provide VDD to analog stuff. And then I've connected them together off chip with bypassing by the respective pins.

The next benefit came from a small series resistor at the output to
limit the risetimes of the signal at the load.

I have been reading a lot about small series resistors on fast lines.
I don't know if 32MHz signals qualify, though.  None of the app notes
mention them.  The xscale requires them at high clock speeds.

its the risetimes more than the period. The clock I mentioned which was causing problems was only about a 10 or 15 MHz clock but it was a very square square wave. Hence the 13th harmonic being so large.

In your case, I'd look at using opto isolators or transformers where
possible for driving those off board signals.  That confines the
currents induced in that loop to a specific spot which doesn't
include your power supplies.

I was planning on FETs for the same reason; the high impedance on the
gate (inherent and resistors) provides a lot of isolation; I don't
*need* opto isolation just for the electricals; it's all +5 signaling.

One of the first steps when I get serious about it is to design the
I/O blocks, and post them.  There's a couple of stages of filtering in
them, yet they should still be usable as generic three-state
bidirectional ports.

If the supply into your board is particularly nasty, which is likely
the case, at a minimum you should put some filtering on it right
where it comes in.

The switcher's app notes talk about those.

Be sure and address both differential and common mode signals.  X
and Y caps in line filtering terms.  In other words, put some C
between the lines and also to ground.

The switcher only provides +5 and ground. What's the third line?

oh, I was talking about the 24 VAC you have coming into the box, not the switcher output. The assumption was you had a pair of wires plus an earth ground.

For an AC signal, you can put a common mode choke on the incoming
line.  By this I mean, take the pair of wires that bring 24 VAC in
and wrap them around a magnetic core.

This can be done just off the board, yes?  Just a ferrite on those
lines?

yes. Certainly for 120 VAC stuff, you can just buy filters that include the common mode choke, caps between the line and neutral and caps from line to earth ground and neutral to earth ground.

You can also buy common mode chokes to go on a board.

-Dan