gEDA-user: Pcb performance issues

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a performance problem with pcb. I have tried this on 3 or 4 versions already on a FC6 installation. I even went all the way back to pcb-20060414 and found some strange behaviour. I will describe my initial experiences with version 20060822 as this version (I think) is the one which saw a substantial change in the UI (I'm sorry I do not have the time to read all the release notes so please bear with me) as well as any newer versions that I tried. In all cases I am running on a FC6 machine. Apart from using yum to install v20070208, in all other cases, I compiled them from source. In all cases -

1. The PCB Library window in earlier versions will display the list of Elements in the right pane when I click on the library on the left pane. However, when I select an element, the item is firstly not highlighted (so you don't know if it has been selected) and then the system will be unresponsive for up to 15-20 seconds and I will not see the shadow outline of the element in the PCB window. When the system returns from this strange state, I will be able to drop the part onto the PCB. I notice that if I happen to move the move around or click on the PCB window during this frozen state, the mouse movements and clicks have all queued up in the event buffer and I will see my mouse movements played back to me and parts placed on the PCB where I had clicked.

2. In some versions before 20080202 e.g 20070912, the PCB Library window will not allow me to select the library and will not list all the parts in the library. In 20080202, I find I cannot select the parts from the list in the right window and the system becomes unresponsive for extended periods of time.
Sometimes I can select the part and drag it to the board, but the system becomes unresponsive again. If I select a part from the "Load element data to paste-buffer" menu item instead, the system will also take a very long time to respond. Similarly with a lot of other other operations such as selecting the part later and dragging it and whatever else I tried (but cannot remember).

3. (This might not be a problem but it annoys me) When I quit the application and as I am only testing I select to lose my data, the application will still take about 10 seconds to quit.

You can imagine all this is very frustrating, so please excuse me for not being  very thorough in my investigation. I did find that I can draw the traces and vias with no response problems in version 20060822. Same of version 20080202.

4. In version 20080202, I find that I when I click on the menu it does not display the drop down box until a few seconds have elapsed.

I have not tried these and other operations in all versions. I simply don't have the time as I really want to get some work done on Pcb. It looks like I will have to use some other package for now.

As I said, I've compiled and tested on several versions - 20070208p1, 20070912, 20080202 etc by compiling the source. I also tried using lesstif on one of the versions and discovered the same performance issue. I even tried 3.0.95 which I believe is a completely separate track and performance was as problematic as the other versions.

I've use various versions of pcb over the last 2 or 3 years and never found a problem. I've not used the program in maybe 6 to 9 months and in the meantime installed FC6. It's too late for me now to go back to FC5 if it turns out that the problem is related to FC6, but somehow I don't think so. I suspect that when a decision was made to change the user interface, something has gone wrong.

In the past I've found Pcb to be very good and its got a much better user interface than Osmond on OSX and kicad. It's also a lot easier to learn and a person can become very productive in a matter of minutes.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem. Hope someone can take a look at this.

Regards.

Stephen