Re: gEDA-user: PC emulator and HDL

Ahmad -

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:19:30AM +0200, Ahmad Sayed wrote:
> The PC emulator will treat the HDL code as real hardware component.
>
> Actually i do a quick prototype using qemu, and jHDL, with parallel port but
> not sure if this idea wll be useful to continue working on it or not so I
> need your advice.

This style of simulation is of course useful.  Steve W. and I have
both done similar work.  I focus more on the driver source code than
on emulating the environment at the binary level.  I build the code
with read_reg() and write_reg() macros/functions changed from the
ordinary pointer dereference (OK, so this isn't an '86) to a message
passing interface to the Icarus Verilog simulator.  The driver C source
code has to be portable, and run either on your workstation (for
simulations) and the embedded computer (attached to the real hardware).

Steve and I both have code out there.  Tell me if you want me to
mumble more about it, and where to get it.

   - Larry