Re: gEDA-user: Strange (laser) print defects

On Tuesday 18 March 2008, John Coppens wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:09:30 -0400
>
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm thinking there might be a liquid
>> buildup there that would spatter away as the heat was applied to this
>> much less porous medium, particularly if the heating effect at that
>> point was coming in at an angle.
>
>Neither the paper nor the toner contain any liquid, so that ouldn't be
>the source (If the paper were the source of the problem, it wouldn't
>repeat on the same spot.

There is something in the toner that while not liquid, is certainly
thermalplastic, and that generally involves something that could be volatile,
maybe even explosive at high temps.  Toner recipes of course are guarded by
armed guards and pit bulls 24/7 as that is the 'magic twanger' that makes it
all work.  Most printer folks would have no problem killing those who would
try to obtain that very proprietary info without being part of the crew that
actually mixes it.  It is all a very cloak and dagger business.

>The problem _is_ pre-fixating, as those
>mini-clouds are fixated. I'm somewhat miffed at the problem - my quick 'n
>dirty process is failing badly here (at least the quick part).

Sounds like!

>Anyway, the density change is a good idea, and I'll try to get some more
>sheet tomorrow. Thanks!

Let me know if my thoughts were worth the electrons to send them :)

>John

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Real Programs don't use shared text.  Otherwise, how can they use functions
for scratch space after they are finished calling them?