Re: gEDA-user: Thanks a million, and few small questions for a new user

Thank you all very much for the  quick and helpful answers! As I suspected, it was mostly user error on my part!

All of my questions to date have been answered!
(I was trying to use :DRC() to check for shorts -- but the "o" key does that, as it should!)
(Once I knew that DRC makes sure that objects, regardless of net, are either touching or not too close, and that the net-based rules
are enforced via the o key, then DRC works perfectly!)

You guys have done a great job on this!

If I were to see if I were able to make thermals automatic, where would I start looking, and in which file?
Can I currently assign a net to a poly, or does a poly automatically assign itself a net as soon as it is physically wired to a net?
(For example, if the user had to just put in a single thermal such that PCB knew what net it was, then thermals could be "turned on" for each puncturing pin of the same net.)

I'm not a great programmer, but I'd be delighted to give it a try!

Are thermals objects, or are they just a "Yes/No" (and size,layer) flag for every pin?

Having not yet looked into the code enough to understand the whole-system mode of operation, I don't know for sure, but I can imagine a simple routine which is run for each screen update which checks to see if any pins go through a polygon which is set to their net, and then turning on the thermal for that pin and that layer, otherwise turning off the thermal for that pin and layer. Tell me if I have all the wrong idea.

Thank you all very much,

Jesse

DJ Delorie wrote:
I can't figure out how to make it automatically place thermals when a
pin goes through a floodfill(polygon) of the same net.

PCB doesn't do this automatically, but if you wanted an easy project
to get involved in, adding it would be easy :-)

I can't figure out how to make a second silkscreen layer (for the other
side) (The layer I created seems to route like copper.)

"Tab" to flip the board over.  There are two silk layers, but it
always draws to the one on "top".

but it always says this even when I have a trace cutting across
other traces and parts, and when I have installed thermals where
they should not be.

Sample board?  You do have a netlist loaded, visible, and optimized,
yes?