Re: gEDA-user: random project idea

> My understanding is that with the GHz busses on modern mobos you need

With a soft CPU, the busses can go slower.  I wouldn't expect such a
project to compete with PCs.

> I thought it was basically impossible to get it right without
> assistance from the CAD tool.

Well, we can change the CAD tool, can't we?  ;-)

> Is this actually practically feasible with a "dumb" CAD tool like
> pcb?

You'd have to limit yourself to something that fits in our skill set,
sure, but perhaps a less-than-GHz system would be doable.  It would be
neat to experiment with other cores and stuff besides the usual x86,
arm, and mips.  Imagine a picoblaze PC running something like DOS, or
a nios-linux box.

> But it's "dumb" in the sense that it doesn't really contribute to
> the layout,

It does have trace measuring, though.