Re: gEDA-user: random project idea

High speed memory is now staggering the transmission of each data line
to minimize cross talk. High end fpga's can support qdr II memory
devices to clock speeds of over 500 MHz. The qdr ii has two data buses
one for read and one for writing. Each bus supports a transfer on each
edge of the clock. This implies data rates on these buses of over 1 GHz.

It isn't the bus rate that will limit performance it is the internal
clock rate. 500 MHz as opposed to over 3 GHZ.

However, the fpga has all those built in multipliers.... hundreds of
them. So for certain tasks an fpga will completely blow away a standard
intel based computer.

My inclination would be to build a mother board with both a standard
microprocessor and an additional fpga that can be programed by the
microprocessor. A customized coprocessor so to speak.

Steve Meier