Re: gEDA-user: random project idea

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 06:36:38PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> ATX motherboard (or any pc motherboard shape, really, like micro-atx
> or some laptop).  PCI/PCIe slots, ISA slots, standard connectors,
> SDRAM - whatever.
>
> A huge FPGA in the middle.
[...]

My understanding is that with the GHz busses on modern mobos you need
to pay serious attention to matching trace lengths and impedances
exactly for the different lines of the bus.  I thought it was
basically impossible to get it right without assistance from the CAD
tool.

Am I wrong?  Is this actually practically feasible with a "dumb" CAD
tool like pcb?  No offense, really -- I love pcb!  But it's "dumb" in
the sense that it doesn't really contribute to the layout, just does a
pretty good job of letting you do the layout.  I've never had much
luck with the autorouter even for moderately complex stuff, nevermind
creating balanced busses.

--
Randall