Re: gEDA-user: random project idea

Randall Nortman wrote:
   I thought it was
> basically impossible to get it right without assistance from the CAD
> tool.

PCIe keeps the signal lines differential and regular, so you have a chance.

The open graphics project is slowly moving along -- they are motivated by several partners
that hold the ultimate copyright to all the GPL parts and plan to make a fabless chip business of it.

The scope of the idea is so big, and the goal of motherboards is always speed, so it seems
not a match for open projects...  but maybe Xilinx would fund it for a while :-)

DJ Delorie wrote:
 >I was thinking more
 >like "every connector goes directly to an FPGA pin".

I think it would max out at 400MHz then....that's a routed-big-design FPGA logic speed limit, right?

Larry Doolittle wrote:
 > 1. Self-reconfigurable FPGAs have been promised for years, but aren't
 > ready, and probably never will be.
[jg] I guess that's because the fpga makers seem to not want to let out their programming details -- probably because they
let Mentor and Synplicity and the like do all their tools and THEY don't want it let out.

JG

--
Ecosensory   Austin TX