Re: gEDA-user: Asking questions, obtaining answers ...

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 01:07 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> > If they are new signups to the
> > email list, they WILL ask the same questions over and over.
>
> Well, isn't this the reason there are two mailing lists user- and
> developer- ? They just happen to look the same because there are not so
> many non developer users registered to the list.

geda-user doesn't exist so people can avoid to RTFM, no.. I guess more
its to keep devel traffic from boring those who don't care - or to allow
it not to get swamped in active user traffic. In reality, neither are
much of a problem for us.

> > Try this:
> >
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/inkscape/+addquestion
>
> I get "To continue, you must log in to Launchpad." plus a registration
> form. After giving away my email address to yet another potential source
> of spam I can type my question. Looks sleek :-)
>
> My main concern is, that somebody will have to watch the launchpad thingy
> and answer all the newbie questions. Until there is a user base
> comparable with inkscape, this has to be done by developers and long time
> users. Is it realistic to do this kind of service in addition to the
> mailing lists, the wiki and the official manuals?

Its set to email the admins when anyone asks a question.. For now, at
least - that means I will answer questions.

wikis aren't for asking questions, but I do get your point about
collecting information together in one location though.

I guess if my goal were to be achieved through the use of "Answers",
allowing more users to make first contact, then yes - there could be
more work involved. If it were to become too much work, the stock
response could resort to being "ask on the geda-user mailing list".

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,