Re: gEDA-user: Asking questions, obtaining answers ...

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:31:07 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

>> How about a slight modification of the idea: Put a link to a web based
>> email form in the help menu. The email address would be hard wired to
>> the user mailing list. No changes to the existing infra structure.
>
> Does the "right thing" happen the first time a user emails that address
> without being signed up to the mailing list? (Having signed up before my
> first posting, I don't know the answer myself).

You get an email to confirm, that your email is valid. IMHO, this is the
right thing.

> The main benefit of an "answers" database type system, is that users can
> see existing questions before asking.

This already works with the current set-up. Type "geda launchpad" in a
google window ;-) I'll admit that the launchpad solution is much more
organized.

> If they are new signups to the
> email list, they WILL ask the same questions over and over.

Well, isn't this the reason there are two mailing lists user- and
developer- ? They just happen to look the same because there are not so
many non developer users registered to the list.

> Try this:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/inkscape/+addquestion

I get "To continue, you must log in to Launchpad." plus a registration
form. After giving away my email address to yet another potential source
of spam I can type my question. Looks sleek :-)

My main concern is, that somebody will have to watch the launchpad thingy
and answer all the newbie questions. Until there is a user base
comparable with inkscape, this has to be done by developers and long time
users. Is it realistic to do this kind of service in addition to the
mailing lists, the wiki and the official manuals?

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
http://lilalaser.de/blog