Re: gEDA-user: random project idea

> 1. Self-reconfigurable FPGAs have been promised for years, but aren't
> ready, and probably never will be.  Think carefully about the boot
> sequence, and how one FPGA can boot the next.  Having more than one
> FPGA is probably a good thing.

What about the new flash-based FPGAs?  Maybe not as big, but they seem
to be "instant-on".  I suppose we could have a CPLD sequence the
boot/reset/run sequence.

> Assume 1mm pitch and 5/5 space/trace.  In concept, reaching all

If we can fit it into 6/6 trace/space with 12 mil via holes, that's
within spec for common prototype fabs (pcb-pool, specifically, which
does 4 and 6 layer).  Of course, with QFP, you can hand solder the
chips and they easily fit in 6/6 rules.

> an overestimate because many interior pads are power and ground.

I looked up a spartan-3 FB676, which has 300k gates.  The five
innermost rows (100 balls) are all power/ground.  There are eight rows
after that; the outer four make up 352 balls, meaning we lose only
about 224 balls.  It's 1mm pitch, too.

Sweet.  Now, if I could solder those on my hotplate... :-)