Re: gEDA-user: random project idea

Guys -

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 04:22:34PM -0700, Jesse Gordon wrote:
> DJ Delorie wrote:
>>>   http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/ml410/index.html
>> They have a lot of support chips on that board, though.  Like the
>> south bridge, CF controller, PCI bridge, etc.  I was thinking more
>> like "every connector goes directly to an FPGA pin".  Maybe one fpga
>> for the cpu core and one for the peripherals, though.
>>
> I like the idea. If the main FPGA was big enough, maybe it'd only need
> one, but I guess we're trying to avoid
> more then 4 layers, and big bga=more then 4 layers.
>
> But if two fpgas were sitting right besides eachother, with about 25
> pins lining up, and just connected right together, (with qfp) the run
> would be short, straight, and all the same length, it could be over
> ground-plane layer there. I think considerable fpga-fpga speeds could be
> attained. If the run was short enough, it may
> /work/ without termination. By having several such fpgas in a row, each
> connected likewise to the one near it, or maybe having 1 in the middle
> then 4 around it, one on each side, I'm sure enough pins could be
> attained to feed all the peripherals.
>
> It may even be doable on a 2 layer board, but four is much more then
> twice as good as 2.
> (I think it's more then twice the cost too :-)
>
> Interfacing to the ram at high speeds could be tricky, so it might be
> better to have the ram in parallel (wider data bus) rather then longer
> address space,
> to allow faster byte/sec without faster addresses/second.

All interesting ideas, but fundamentally not new.  The bigger/faster/cheaper
FPGAs get, the more interesting it gets.  A few comments on details:

1. Self-reconfigurable FPGAs have been promised for years, but aren't
ready, and probably never will be.  Think carefully about the boot
sequence, and how one FPGA can boot the next.  Having more than one
FPGA is probably a good thing.

2. For Ethernet, you don't want a PHY+MAC, just a PHY.  The pin count
is lower and the result is more FPGA-like.  I have a demo of
Gigabit-compatible IP/ARP/UDP in 200 cells plus 32 kbits RAM.
I will probably even work on making it useful for real-time
communications in the next year.

3. A large BGA can be useful even without a lot of board layers.
Assume 1mm pitch and 5/5 space/trace.  In concept, reaching all
n^2 pads can take approximately n/2-2 routing layers, although that's
an overestimate because many interior pads are power and ground.
Practically, it takes six layers for 170 user I/O on a 256-pad BGA,
and the layer count rises rapidly for those 600 to 1200 pad monsters.
If you only route the outer four rows, however, you get 16*(n-4)
pads with two routing layers (four physical layers with power/ground).
A 676-pad package (26x26) gives you 352 routable pads like that.

4. You can do a lot with FPGA plus DDR SDRAM, outside of traditional
CPU design.  Just look at Elphel's model 333 camera.
  http://www3.elphel.com/
Ogg Theora _en_coding faster than most PC's can _de_code it.

5. I have always been impressed by Jan Gray's CPU in FPGA designs.
  http://fpgacpu.org/
Jan himself has moved on to other work.  If anyone wants to talk shop
about CPUs in FPGA, like how to add Cache, MMU, and SDRAM to a 32-bit
Gray-esque processor, let's find a better list.

  - Larry